Importance of Water (Part I)
We have a special guest author this week. Karla Hamal (my nutritionist) who many of you have seen in the office wanted to share some thoughts about the importance of water intake. She will be discussing it both in terms of overall health and more specifically how it relates to weight loss. It is obviously a broad (and important) topic so we will divide it up into two parts. This short email obviously won’t cover everything, but give you some of the basics…..if you have any specific questions you can email them or even better ask Karla herself when you see her in the office. Take it away Karla…….
Why Drinking Water is Important for Weight Loss
There are many reasons why it is important to drink water, especially if you dieting:
1) Initial Weight loss is largely due to loss of water, and you need to drink an adequate amount of water in order to avoid dehydration (Remember the first week after surgery?)
2) The process of burning calories requires an adequate supply of water in order to function efficiently; dehydration slows down the fat-burning process.
3) Burning calories created toxins (think of the exhaust coming out of your car), and water plays a vital role in flushing them out of your body.
4) Dehydration causes a reduction in blood volume; a reduction in blood volume causes a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles; and a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles can make you feel tired.
5) Water helps maintain muscle tone by assisting muscles in their ability to contract, and it lubricates your joints. Proper hydration can help reduce muscle and joint soreness when excercising.
6) A healthy diet includes a good amount of fiber. While fiber is normally helpful to your digestive system, without adequate fluids it can cause constipation instead of helping to eliminate it.
7) Drinking water with a meal may make you feel full sooner and therefore be satisfied with eating less. Note, however that drinking water alone may not have this effect. In order to feel satiated (not hungry), our bodies need bulk, calories and nutrients.
Karla Hamal RD
September Support Groups
Now that the summer is over the support groups are back to their ‘usual’ schedule.
September 9th (this wednesday) will be the support group for patients who have had gastric bypass less than one year ago.
September 16th will be the support group for all Gastric Band pateints
September 23rd will be the support group for all patients who have had surgery over one year ago
All support groups will be at the usual location: 200 South Orange Ave, Livingston, NJ (the ACC), which is the building in which I do the adjustments. Support groups start at 6 pm
Free Informational Seminar
If anybody has a friend, family member or co-worker who is interested in finding out about bariatric surgery I will be holding a free informational seminar at my office on Wedndesday september 16th at 6:30 pm.
If you will be coming or bringing someone please call the office so we will have an idea of the head count….thanks!
That’s it for this week, next week will be Part II of Karla’s Water and Weight Loss tutorial.
web site address: https://www.gsbwc.com
phone: (973) 218-1990